Jeff provides valuation consulting services for business owners, attorneys, accountants, and other professional services providers, for gift and estate tax reporting, income tax reporting, reorganizations, buy/sell agreements, marital dissolution, litigation support, IRC §409A (deferred compensation), financial reporting (i.e., ASC 805/350 and SFAS 123R), ESOPs, and financing purposes.
Jeff began his career at PricewaterhouseCoopers in their National Tax Office. As an international tax associate, he advised multinational companies on the tax implications of their international operations as well as coordinating U.S. tax laws with foreign tax laws to develop optimal tax strategies. Jeff’s main expertise is in the valuation of ownership interests in operating businesses and closely-held, private entities that own real properties, marketable securities, and other income-producing assets. He is an active member of national and local professional organizations and frequently travels to Florida to manage VSI’s Miami office. Jeff has been involved in over 6,000 valuation engagements.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Admitted to the Maryland Bar
- Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA)
- University of Virginia – MS in Accounting – Tax, DuPont Fellowship Recipient
- University of Miami School of Law – Juris Doctor
- Emory University – BA in Sociology
- National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts (NACVA)
- Virginia Chapter of NACVA
- Maryland Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Northern Virginia Estate Planning Council
- The IRS Continues to Attack Poorly Designed Family Limited Partnership – Estate of Concetta H. Rector – Wealth Strategies Journal, October 2008 (co-authored with Craig Stephanson)
- Family Limited Partnerships Must Jump the Section 2036 Hurdle – Practical Tax Strategies, May 2003 (co-authored with Craig Stephanson)
- IRS Wins Round One in Court Battle Regarding Gifts of LLC Interests – Practical Tax Strategies, February 2003 (co-authored with Craig Stephanson)
- Disclaimers: The Last Line of Defense When Wrestling with Estate Planning Problems – Trusts & Estates, December 200 (co-authored with Dr. David Maloney)
SELECTED SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
- Navigating Through the Business Valuation Process – JD Networking Group, March 20, 2015
- Business Valuations Hot Button Topics – Broward County Estate Planning Council, November 13, 2014
- Business Valuations Hot Button Topics – McLean Estate Planning Council, June 25, 2014
- Business Valuations Hot Button Topics – Arlington County Bar Association, May 13, 2014.
- Valuing Derivatives – National Association of Valuation Analysts Maryland/DC State Chapter Meeting, May 20, 2011.
- Debunking the Myths: Business Valuations and Their Legal and Financial Impacts During Tough Economic Times – Society of Financial Service Professionals – National Capital Chapter, May 27, 2009.